Wednesday, January 20, 2010

So it turns out that I love Jello. Who knew? And yes, I know it's main ingredient in gelatin- but shush, don't tell me, and I'll ignore it for a bit. I found out about my new love today at lunch...

Let me share what lunch is at my school... I work at a K-12 independent school that has it's own dining hall. We get $6 a day to spend on whatever we can find- keep in mind, however, that the food is geared to teenage boys. There's tons of fried stuff- from french fries to onion rings; there's hot meaty pasta, hot meaty soups, cold meaty sandwiches, hot meaty pizza, and meat in some of the salad bar offerings. Not to say that boys only eat meat- but since this is all I have to base my knowledge of teenage boys eating habits, I'm going with yes, they eat plate after plate of meaty yumminess. Also, the "healthier" food is more expensive... so you go way over your budget of $6 if you get a plate of salad and a yogurt. So here's what I eat every day: a slice of cheese pizza, a yogurt, and a 100 cal. pack of chips ahoy- except that now they've discontinued the chips ahoy and I had to substitute 100 cal. pack of oreos. And let me tell you, 100 cal oreos have none of the goodness that regular oreos have.

Ahhhh oreos... how I love you. In yearbook, senior year, the editors and I realized our passion for double stuf oreos, and would eat entire packages in a sitting. In fact, we'd take them wherever we went... I have a fond memory of eating them on the stage at an outdoor amphitheater where I had watched plays and concerts growing up. How great it was to sit on that stage, looking out over the seats, and demolishing that crinkly bag.

But back to lunch. In the beginning of the year, I was eating chocolate pudding instead of the 100 cal bag of cookies... and man, was I in heaven. Well, for all of lunch and then about 4 minutes afterwards. After that I would fall into a mighty strong food coma, and would be worthless to teach for the rest of the afternoon. Pudding is one of my other favorite foods... maybe I should make a list of my favorite foods, b/c apparently I have more than I thought I did. Anyway. I wised up, kicked out the pudding and the pizza, and switched to salad and the occasional cookie (there's something about choc. chip cookies that all dining halls rock out... these are killer). Then I realized the small bowl of salad wasn't cutting it (and was gross, along with the lack of filling), so I switched back to pizza. So here I am, a slice of cheese pizza, a yogurt, and a bag of 100 cal cookies. Until today.

Today I went down and spotted the pudding. "Ahhh, pudding" I thought, beginning to reach for the plastic container... at the last second, I jerked my hand to the right, and it landed on a container of bright red jello. "Jello?" I considered quietly, as the wave of teen boys split and poured around me. I grabbed it, for fear of being knocked to the ground and trampled, and moved on to the pizza section. After almost having a crying attack (there was one slice of cheese out, and it had a big ol' chunk of burnt flesh stuck to it) and then being rescued by the manager who saw my panic, I escaped with the pizza, the jello, and the yogurt.

And man was that jello good. And it was sugar free. And all day long I fantasized about typing it into myfooddiary.com and realizing that it had 0 calories, and how I would begin to make vats of it so I could lounge around in my pajamas in front of "Say Yes To The Dress" and consume the wiggling, jiggling cold sweetness to my heart's delight. I even went to the grocery on the way home and bought 3 boxes in preparation! It was then that I learned that one serving = 10 calories, and my fantasy of eating from the chilled vat began to fade away.

But I'm not letting those 10 calories stop me. I'm trudging forth! I'm going to enjoy that jello if its the last thing I do! (Besides, I could eat way more jello and still consume less calories than the 100 pack of lame-o fake oreos.) So tonight, before crawling into bed, I boiled up some water, spilled the gelatin in, and made 8 servings of rasberry jello for tomorrow. mmmm.... I can't wait.

Maintain Weight
807
Lose 1 lbs. per week
307
Lose 1.6 lbs. per week (maximum safe)
7

If every day were like today ...
You would lose 1.6 lbs per week.
You would reach your goal weight of 135 lbs on 6/29/2010.
In one month, you would weigh 165.1 lbs.
In three months, you would weigh 151.2 lbs.






1 comment:

  1. You inspire me, always! Thank you. I've got to get back to writing down everything, including all those bites, licks and tastes! I figured I could do it in my head which definitely is not working. I gained back 10 of the 50 and was losing it after New Year's but not now : ) definitely a stress eater! So...gotta' change up the walking routine, tell the walking team that I need to take a break occasionally for my own sanity and stress management, cause I definitely rejuvenate from periodic walks alone. 30 to go! Oh my...seems like a lot! Gotta' get a mantra going....

    ReplyDelete